January 28, 2013

Caramel Rice Krispie Treats


So, I was at the grocery store today and had a hankering for some Rice Krispie Treats. I found the mallows and I was wanting to make some flavored ones. Well I found this:

 




What? Well you know I couldn't just make one recipe, it had to be doubled, so I grabbed 2 bags.  
When I came home I googled recipes because I also didn't want to make just the original one. So this is what I found and let me tell you, amazing doesn't even begin to describe them! So, without further ado, here is how you make them.

Caramel Rice Krispie Treats:
 5 cups Rice Krispies Cereal
1/2 cup salted butter, browned
(if using unsalted butter add 1/4 tsp salt)
one 8 ounce bag Caramel Vanilla Marshmallows 


Line an 8-by-8-inch baking pan with aluminum foil, spray with cooking spray; set aside or use parchment paper & no oil is needed! Much easier to to use. In a large mixing bowl, add 5 cups cereal; set aside.


In a large pot, melt butter over medium-low heat, stirring nearly constantly. Butter will melt, foam, turn clear, golden, turn brown, and will then smell nutty. As soon at the butter begins to turn brown, take the pan off the heat, and continue to stir for about 1 minute, to ensure carryover heat doesn't continue to cook and subsequently burn the already browned butter.

Add the marshmallows and the residual heat should be enough to melt them, but if not, heat pan over low heat stirring constantly until they melt, taking care not to cook them; just warming to melt. Pour mixture over cereal and toss to coat

Pour into 8x8 pan, make sure your hands are clean! and get them wet with hot water. Use your hands to press into the pan. This method is the easiest & cleanest! Nothing with stick to your hands

Allow to cool, about 30-60 minutes, cut into squares and enjoy! You can always add 3/4 extra cereal if you don't want it as gooey. 

No comments:

Post a Comment